Nemours Children’s Health System, a nonprofit pediatric health provider created this infographic to raise awareness and understanding of childhood cancer. Further, their goal was to encourage donations. The cause is undeniably good, and so is Nemours. 100% of donations go directly to research.
…all kinds of cancer, including childhood cancer, have a common disease process – cells grow out of control, develop abnormal sizes and shapes, ignore their typical boundaries inside the body, destroy their neighbor cells and ultimately can spread (or metastasize) to other organs and tissues.Nemours Children’s Health System
A few sobering fact’s about childhood cancer that stood out to us:
- Only 2 drugs have been approved in the pat 20 years to treat cancers specifically found in children.
- Every day 43 children will be diagnosed with cancer.
- 1 in 8 children diagnosed with cancer will die.
- 1 in 5 children will experience a toxic event during treatment.
- 3 if 5 will suffer. long-term complications of treatment.
Source: Nemours Children’s Health System